> >

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 08-04-09, 03:42 AM   #1
Novice
Default Re: Best defragmenter for Windows 7 x64 64 bit?

For now i guess that best defragger for win 7 is its default defragger.. I havent yet seen any defragger which is build for 7..
Old 08-04-09, 03:44 AM   #2
Apprentice

Hi, system mechanic v9 is windows 7 compatible,

Quote:
iolo technologies, the PC tune-up experts behind #1 best-selling System Mechanic®, announced today that the newest version of the flagship product offers complete compatibility with Windows 7, becoming the first utilities software in the market fully compatible with Microsoft’s newest operating system.
Quote:
Advanced Disk Defrag
System Mechanic gives you three powerful disk defrag tools:

* High-speed Disk Defrag to defragment hard drives up to 30 times faster than other defragmentation tools; includes a low-level deep defragmentation option for maximum program performance and long-lasting data contiguity
* Boot-time Defrag to optimize key “locked” system files that can’t be defragged while Windows is running
* Right-click Defragmentation for instant access to System Mechanic’s powerful file defragmentation technology from anywhere within Windows.

download 30 day trial
http://www.iolo.com/system-mechanic/standard/
ryanX
Old 08-04-09, 03:12 PM   #3
Novice

Try Defraggler, MyDefrag, Auslogics Disk Defrag, there all compatible with Win7 and they support x64 systems as well. They are also good FREE defragmenters.

Defraggler 
http://www.defraggler.com/

-------------------------------------------------

MyDefrag
http://www.mydefrag.com/index.html

-------------------------------------------------

Auslogics Disk Defrag
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag
Enjoy!

-fluffy
Old 08-06-09, 11:13 AM   #4
Novice

Try if tuneuputilties work on win7, its best optimzation program after system mechanic!
Old 01-13-10, 12:57 PM   #5
Newcomer

very helpful tread. cheers guys
Old 01-13-10, 01:31 PM   #6
Newcomer

The top too defraggers are; my preference Perfect Disk by Raxco and O&O Defragment according to the reviews I have read. Perfect Disk uses a system they call Smart Placement I do not know if O&O have something similar but these two have had the best reviews. The latest versions of these are Win 7 compatible and will do a far better job than the Win7 defrag. I know Perfect Disk at least has a 64 bit version I expect O&O do too.

Google it.

Last edited by arthur3sheds; 01-13-10 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-13-10, 05:18 PM   #7
Hear Me Roar...

Quote: Originally Posted by arthur3sheds View Post
The top too defraggers are; my preference Perfect Disk
I use Perfect Disk on Win 7 x64...
Old 01-13-10, 11:47 PM   #8
Elite

I agree with arupian, Perfect Disk is a great program.
Old 01-14-10, 12:02 PM   #9
Novice

Smart Defrag, do a fast optimize or a smart optimize, and let it finish

Trust me, Smart Defrag by IObit is by far one of the best defrag tools I have ever used, a friend recommended it to me, I now put it on all of my PC's

I hope that this helps

Oh, and it's completely free

Last edited by Chris00089; 01-14-10 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Forgot a line
Old 01-14-10, 12:11 PM   #10
Elite

After trying many defraggers the only one I use now is UltimateDefrag 2008. It's compatible with x64 W7 apart from boot-time, which will be included in the next update. I like it so much I actually bought it!!!!!
Old 01-15-10, 02:26 PM   #11
Newcomer

Quote: Originally Posted by ghost_z View Post
Anyone know what is currently the best defragmenter for Windows 7 x64 64 bit, and why? Does it have any problems? Or should I just use the default one that comes with Windows 7? Thanks.
Without a doubt - Perfectdisk. The defrag system files on startup makes a significant difference. The smartplacement not so much.

I've used it for years and it's not the prettiest to look at - but the fact that it is MS Certified means a lot.

Cheers
Old 01-15-10, 06:48 PM   #12
Apprentice

hi Advanced Dfrag is good

http://tehparadox.com/forum/f51/adva...-25-mb-730371/

ryanX
Old 01-16-10, 03:53 AM   #13
Novice

Iobit has a nice little do it all free package that works well. Deep optimize packs things together a bit to to tight for my liking but defrag and fast optimize works just fine. Check it out it's a good package and best of all free. Also try Ccleaner it will clean the bugs out of your browser. You would be surprised at how much garbage accumulates there.

Last edited by rntntn; 01-16-10 at 04:10 AM. Reason: add on
Old 01-17-10, 01:03 AM   #14
Newcomer

At the end of the day they all do much the same job. The m ain differences are:

1. MS Certified - I really don't know if that makes any difference at the consumer level - maybe big enterprises with ISO certification might need it. But it sounds good!

2. Interface - personal preference - Advanced Dfrag looks much nicer on screen than Perfectdisk...

3. Background defrag - great for servers, not so good for PC's. No matter what they claim it's always there sucking up RAM and processor cycles. Turn it off! N.B. Windows 7 (and I assume Windows Vista) have a built in defragger - which is ENABLED by default to run as a background Service in Task Scheduler - you need to turn this off too.

4. Smart Defrag - they all have different names and claims for this, but it essentially is a file placement algorithm which usually uses file date to place files. It makes the defrag take a LOT longer and puts a lot more strain on your HDD - maybe more than being defragmented in the first place! It's only value I can see is if you run a separate physical HDD for Windows, then MAYBE it's worth it. But a drive with continuously changing data - forget it!

5. Perfectdisk can defrag multiple drives or volumes at the same time. A couple of freeware ones I tried couldn't do this.

6. The biggest difference is the off-line system file defrag at boot up. the system hyberfile, shadow copies, restore points, and pagefile (especially) don't get defragmented by ANY defragger including MS while windows is running. I have noticed since Windows 2000 quite a tangible difference in boot times and app-swap times using this feature.

Personally I wouldn't be using a small freeware defragger on Win 64bit, as unless they strictly adhere to the official MS file and OS routines data loss s a possibility. Stick with the big well known brands if you have x64.

Remember marketing claims don't always equal reality!

I hope that helps a bit! :)

Greg
Closed Thread